Trust These Ways To Keep Ginger Fresh For Longer
Ginger is a versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of dishes, from stir-fries to smoothies. However, it can be difficult to keep ginger fresh for an extended period. If you don’t store it properly, it can quickly dry out and become unusable.
Here are a few tips on how to keep ginger fresh for longer:
- Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. This will help to prevent the ginger from drying out.
- Store it in the refrigerator. The refrigerator is a good place to store ginger, as it will help to slow down the growth of bacteria.
- Freeze it. If you have a lot of ginger, you can freeze it for later use. To freeze ginger, simply peel it and grate it into a fine paste. Then, freeze the paste in ice cube trays.
- Use a ginger keeper. A ginger keeper is a special container that is designed to keep ginger fresh. It typically has a humid environment that is ideal for ginger.
Here are some additional tips:
- Do not wash ginger until you are ready to use it. Washing ginger will remove the protective skin, which can lead to it drying out faster.
- Do not store ginger near other fruits or vegetables. These items can release ethylene gas, which can accelerate the ripening of ginger.
- Use ginger within 2-3 weeks of purchasing it. Fresh ginger will have a bright pink or yellow color. If the ginger starts to turn brown or black, it is no longer fresh.
Here are some of the benefits of keeping ginger fresh:
- It will have a stronger flavor. Fresh ginger has a more intense flavor than ginger that has been stored for an extended period.
- It will be easier to grate. Fresh ginger is easier to grate than dried ginger.
- It will be more versatile. Fresh ginger can be used in a variety of dishes, both savory and sweet.
By following these tips, you can keep your ginger fresh for longer and enjoy its delicious flavor for months to come.